for service times
Postcode: SA3 1DE
Download "In the steps of the saints" here
St Madoc is reputed to have founded a church here in the 6th
century, and the present building is 13th century. Set in one
windowsill is a lettered stone dating from the 6th century which
was discovered in 1861 in the walls of the old parsonage house,
and commemorates ‘Advenctus son of Guanus’. In the west wall is
a crude pillar cross and a boundary marker dating from the 7th to
9th centuries, whilst the font is probably Norman.
During the 12th century the parish was controlled by the Knights
Templar, before passing to the Knights Hospitaller of St John of
Jerusalem, though no visible evidence now remains of this. The
Revd J D Davies, a skilled woodcarver, was Rector here from 1860
to 1911. He carved the oak altar frontal and led the major
restoration begun in 1865.
Open daily throughout the year.